We make sure the underserved in our communities don't get overlooked.
If you're looking for affordable loan options, there are several choices available to you, including low down payment options and flexible credit requirements, you can find the right fit for your needs and budget. These loans are designed specifically for those who may not qualify for traditional mortgage loans due to their credit score or lack of access to financing options.
Our HomePride Loan Conventional Mortgage offers:
- Up to 99% financing
- have a credit score of 560
- No private mortgage insurance (PMI) required
- Fixed-rate or adjustable-rate loan terms are available to fit your needs.
Up to $7,500 Horizon Bank down payment assistance towards closing costs and down payment funds for qualified applicants*
Low Credit? No Problem.
Everyone deserves their dream home. We want to help make that dream a reality. By working with a lender who specializes in these options tailored for you and what your finances can handle, you can get the guidance and support you need to make the right financial decisions for your future.
Fresh Start Loans
With a Fresh Start Loan, a new beginning is possible. This program can be used to establish credit if you do not have a documented credit history, or it can help you reestablish your credit.
How Does The Fresh Start Loan Program Work?
- Your loan amount goes directly into a certificate of deposit (CD) to secure payment back to Horizon. Since the Bank will rely on the money in the CD to secure 100% of the loan amount, your credit score will not be considered for underwriting.
- Loan advances are available from $1,000 to $10,000.Your ability to repay will determine your actual loan amount. Compared to your income, the maximum overall debt you have cannot exceed 50%.
When the loan is paid off, the money in the CD will be available to you.
Homeownership Opportunity Program (HOP) Grant
Benefits of HOP Grant:
- A $5,000 grant for qualified homebuyers becomes available in April, so now is the time to inquire to be ready when the funds arrive.
- Funds for this grant typically run out by the end of June, so if you are looking for a
home in March and closing in April, you would be the first in line.
Michigan State Housing Development Authority Grant
We are committed to providing financial resources to the communities we serve to make it easier to buy a home, and we’re proud to partner with many organizations that share our mission to provide assistance to those in need.
One of the programs is available through the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) to help with down payment assistance.
With this down payment assistance program, you may qualify for up to $10,000 to assist with a down payment to buy a house, closing costs, and/or the prepaid finance charges required at closing. Terms and conditions do apply, the loan is 0% interest and no monthly payment.
This program allows you to reduce the out-of-pocket cash required to close on a home loan. This means your savings can remain intact to pay monthly bills or build an emergency fund.
Finding the best loan that fits your needs starts with knowing how much you can afford.
By knowing the rates available, you can calculate your monthly payment to understand what will fit into your budget. Speak to one of our lenders to guide you through the process or get prequalified with our online application.
Browse Government Loan Options
FHA (Federal Housing Administration) Loans
FHA loans, offered through the Federal Housing Administration, assist homebuyers in overcoming many of the obstacles of owning a home. This loan is a great option if you have limited funds for a down payment, have "less than perfect" credit, or need to complete repairs on a home that is being purchased or currently owned.
Benefits of FHA Loans:
- Low down payment requirements1
- Flexible qualification guidelines
- Fixed-rate, fixed-term mortgages insured by the government
- Allows a co-applicant to help you qualify even if the person doesn't live in the home
VA (Veteran's Affairs) Loans
A VA loan is an option for those who are on active duty, reservists, or veterans. Also an option for those who are
eligible family members of a former service member.
- Little or no down payment
- Up to 100% financing
- No mortgage insurance (PMI)
- Fixed-Rate, fixed-term loans
- Option to reduce interest rate in the future with Interest Rate Reduction Refinance Loan (IRRRL)
USDA/Rural Development Section 502
USDA/Rural Development loans are ideal if you are looking to buy or refinance a primary residence located in an eligible rural area, have "less than perfect" credit, or have limited funds for a down payment.
Benefits of USDA Loans:
- "Zero Down" down payment options1
- Closing costs can be financed with a loan
- A loan guaranteed by U.S. Government
- Competitive rates with fixed terms
- No maximum purchase price
Low Down Payment Loan Options
HomeReady® Mortgage (Fannie Mae)
Benefits of HomeReady Loan
- Affordable conventional financing with a minimum down payment of 3%
- Supports manufactured homes up to 95%
- Combine loan-to-value of 105% with down payment assistance
- are creditworthy low- to moderate-income borrowers with expanded eligibility for financing homes in designated low-income, minority, and disaster-impacted areas.
- have a credit score of 620+.
- have non-traditional credit.
- take the Fannie Mae HomeView™ course to prepare for sustainable homeownership.
HomeStyle® Renovation Mortgage (Fannie Mae)
Benefits of HomeStyle Loan
- Permits borrowers to include financing for home improvements in a purchase or refinance of the existing home which means lower closing costs and typically a lower interest rate on a first mortgage
- 15- and 30- year Fixed-rate mortgage
- One loan closing
- Up to 97% loan-to-value owner-occupied and up to 90% loan-to-value 2nd home (both single-family residence)
- are in need of moderate repairs and renovations.
- have a credit score of 620+.
Explore Speciality Home Loan Programs
Homeowners Improvement Program
Have a need for home improvement but without the credit history to obtain a traditional loan? This program was developed to allow you to fulfill those needs. Request information
Starter Overdraft Protection
This program is for customers who are looking to establish a credit history as well as protect their checking account.
Homeowner Ready Cash Program
A loan that provides immediate cash for the immediate home improvement needs that families
and individuals find to confront them every day. A loan with immediate cash and affordable
Section 8 Mortgage Financing
A new mortgage lending program developed by Horizon allows qualified recipients to utilize their HUD-funded Section 8 housing allocation to make their home mortgage payments.