Michigan City, Indiana, October 25, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) – (NASDAQ GS: HBNC) – Horizon Bancorp, Inc. (“Horizon” or the “Company”), the parent company of Horizon Bank (the “Bank”), announced its unaudited financial results for the three and nine months ended September 30, 2023.
“Horizon's third quarter performance demonstrated our diversified lending platform's ability to produce solid growth while successfully continuing to shift our loan mix to higher yielding assets. This strategy paired with the strength of our credit culture will continue to add value over time,” President and Chief Executive Officer Thomas M. Prame said. “Horizon's core deposit funding base remained stable and our business units provided another promising quarter of non–interest income results. Recognizing the near term headwinds facing the banking industry, Horizon remains dedicated to disciplined expense management and prudently deploying resources into new revenue opportunities that can quickly realize positive momentum.”
Third Quarter 2023 Highlights
- Net income was $16.2 million or $0.37 per diluted share. This compared to $18.8 million or $0.43 in the second quarter of 2023, which included an after–tax benefit of approximately $1.1 million, or $0.02 per share on a non–recurring swap termination fee.
- Loans totaled $4.36 billion at period end, increasing by 8.2% annualized during the quarter and 6.4% annualized since December 31, 2022. Commercial loan growth totaled $83.0 million, increasing by 13.1% annualized during the quarter and 6.6% annualized since December 31, 2022.
- Deposits remained resilient, totaling $5.7 billion at period end, compared to $5.7 billion on June 30, 2023. Brokered deposits and wholesale borrowing levels were consistent with second quarter balances.
- Net interest income was $42.1 million. This compared to $46.2 million in the linked quarter, which benefited from the aforementioned non–recurring swap termination fee by $1.5 million.
- Non–interest income expanded to $11.8 million from $11.0 million in the linked quarter, primarily due to higher mortgage–related revenue.
- Well–managed non–interest expense was $36.2 million, or 1.81% of average assets annualized. Results slightly improved from the second quarter, even with an additional $460,000 in FDIC insurance expense.
- Maintained sound asset quality, with 30 to 89 days delinquent loans representing 0.30% of total loans and non–performing loans representing 0.45% of total loans at period end, as well as net charge–offs representing 0.02% of average loans during the quarter.
- Horizon's dividend performance included a 5.99% yield as of September 30, 2023, with cash maintained at the holding company level representing approximately eight quarters of dividend payments and fixed costs.