Horizon Bancorp, Inc. Announces Record Earnings for 2022
MICHIGAN CITY, Ind., Jan. 25, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- (NASDAQ GS: HBNC) — Horizon Bancorp, Inc. (“Horizon” or the “Company”) announced its unaudited financial results for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2022.
“Horizon closed 2022 with record annual earnings reflecting continued strong growth in commercial and consumer loans through the fourth quarter, solid asset quality metrics and continued disciplined expense management,” Chairman and CEO Craig M. Dwight said. “We have continued to produce consistent and strong returns with ROAA of 1.24% and ROATE of 18.33% for 2022. As we enter 2023, we believe we are well–positioned with talent, technology and solid pipelines to continue to support our loan growth goals for the year, and focus on reinvesting our cash flows into higher yielding assets. Our well diversified balance sheet and low credit risk profile has performed well through previous economic cycles and, given the strong markets we operate in, we expect similar performance throughout the current economic cycle.”
Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2022 Highlights
- Return on average assets (“ROAA”) was 1.24% for the year ended 2022.
- Return on average tangible equity was 18.33% for the year ended 2022.
- Total loans grew 13.4% year–to–date and 12.8% annualized during the fourth quarter.
- Commercial loans grew to a record $2.42 billion, up 13.4% year–to–date and 10.8% annualized during the fourth quarter.
- Consumer loans grew to a record $967.8 million, up 30.6% year–to–date and 21.0% annualized during the fourth quarter.
- Asset quality remained solid with total loan delinquency at 0.26% of total loans, net charge–offs to average loans of 0.01% and non–performing loans to total loans at 0.52%.
- Total deposits remained strong increasing $26.9 million during the quarter at an average cost of 71 basis points and $54.8 million year–to–date at an average cost of 30 basis points.
- Fourth quarter net interest income was $48.8 million compared to $51.9 million in the previous quarter. Lower loan fees, less purchase accounting accretion and higher dealer reserve amortization represented $2.2 million of this decrease.
- An accounting revision was made to amounts reported in previously issued financial statements covering the third quarter of 2022 related to immaterial errors discovered in the fourth quarter of 2022. The errors relate to the inclusion of the dealer reserve amortization expense in loan expense in non–interest expenses for the third quarter of 2022 rather than loan interest income. The previously issued financial statements for the three and nine months dated September 30, 2022 have been revised to correct this error, which resulted in lowering both interest income and non–interest expense by $1.5 million for the quarter and lowering net interest margin by ten basis points from the historical presentation of these amounts (See Exhibit 1 – Revision of Previously Issued Financial Statements for details). All periods presented reflect this adjustment, and there was no impact to net income.
- Non–interest income increased by 4.8% from $10.2 million to $10.7 million from the third quarter to the fourth quarter of 2022.
- Non-interest expense was $35.7 million in the quarter, or 1.84% of average assets on an annualized basis, compared to $36.8 million, or 1.91%, in the third quarter of 2022. Year–to–date non–interest expense continued to be well managed at $143.2 million, or 1.90% of average assets.
- Net income totaled $21.2 million, compared to $23.8 million in the third quarter and $21.4 million in the prior year period. Diluted earnings per share (“EPS”) was $0.48 compared to $0.55 for the third quarter of 2022 and $0.49 for the fourth quarter of 2021.
- The Bank’s capital position continues to be robust with leverage and risk based capital ratios of 9.55% and 13.59%, respectively. The annualized dividend yield was 4.24% as of December 31, 2022.