Horizon has been in business for 150 years and it has survived over 30 economic downturns, from the Great Depression, the rapidly rising interest rates of the early 1980s, and the Great Recession to the current environment. Our long-term business philosophy of serving local businesses and individuals, and providing loans to qualified borrowers, has helped the bank, its shareholders, and its customers weather these economic storms.
Solid Financial Performance
Horizon continues to prosper as demonstrated by solid earnings in each of the last 20 years. In addition, Horizon has paid uninterrupted dividends on its common shares for over 30 years.
Horizon has a long history of helping people through tough times. We listen and seek to provide sensible advice. We recognize that a business or family’s financial stability can change quickly. Therefore, we encourage our customers, and non-customers alike, to talk with us about ways we may be able to help.
Our management team, both executive leadership and Regional/Market Presidents, consist of seasoned officers, many of whom have weathered several economic downturns. We feel confident in our ability to navigate today’s financial challenges.
Solid Capital Position
Horizon is well-capitalized as defined by all regulatory guidelines.
Diversified Business Model
Horizon’s business model is well diversified across its multiple business lines of commercial, consumer, wealth management, and mortgage. Additionally, Horizon's customers are geographically diverse across our 70+ locations in Indiana and Michigan. The Bank is not highly concentrated in any one specific business vertical, and we have no exposure to high-risk segments such as cryptocurrencies.
Local Decision Making
All decisions impacting our customers are made locally, rather than by a corporate entity hundreds or thousands of miles away. We provide one-on-one, face-to-face consultations to see how we can help our customers.
Diligent Risk Management
Horizon’s loan portfolios have historically performed better than the overall banking sector during various economic cycles, and we expect this trend to continue.
Reinvestment in our Communities
Because we are a local company, we reinvest our profits locally. We also contribute extensively to local not-for-profit organizations through both volunteer work and contributions. Horizon encourages employees to volunteer with organizations that have special meaning for them. As a result, more than 500 organizations throughout our region have benefited from these efforts.
Horizon Bank is one of the area’s largest employers in the northwestern Indiana and southwestern Michigan area with over 900 advisors living and working in the communities we serve and call home. We continue to expand our services into additional communities throughout Indiana and Michigan – bringing more jobs to the area and giving more consumers the opportunity to bank locally.
Customer Deposits Are Safe
Horizon’s deposits are insured by the FDIC for up to $250,000 per depositor for each ownership category with additional ways to get even more FDIC coverage for deposit accounts. No depositor has ever lost a penny of insured deposits since the FDIC was created in 1933. (See www.fdic.gov)
Expanded FDIC Insurance Program Available
Horizon also offers multi-million dollar FDIC deposit insurance coverage programs known as CDARs & IFS for large depositors.
Indiana Municipal Deposit Insurance Fund
Indiana has a deposit insurance reserve for municipalities, in addition to the FDIC insurance, which provides additional cushion for our local Indiana municipalities.
We're celebrating 150 Years with Ten $150 Cash Prizes! Enter to Win!
Celebrating an incredible milestone.
We are honored to celebrate 150 years of service as a leading Midwest Community Bank in Indiana and Michigan, providing exceptional service and sensible advice since 1873! There is a passion and purpose here that is simply unmatched.
Being involved and giving back is the best way we know to understand the needs of both our Customers and Community Members. Our Advisors get involved in opportunities that are passionate and important to them, as well as impactful.
Dedicated to Diversity & Inclusion.
Advisor Resource Groups were introduced in 2021 to promote inclusion and diversity throughout the company. Here are some of our Voices of Pride LGBTQIA+ Advisor Resource Group members supporting the Kalamazoo, Michigan Pride Event.
Invested in our Communities.
Last May we announced an investment of $75,000 over the next three years to the lifesaving work of the Northwest Indiana American Heart Association, as the local signature Go Red for Women Movement presenting sponsor.
The Road to 150
- 1873April 1873, First National Bank receives its first charter
- 1920First National Bank moves to its present home at 515 Franklin Street
- 1937First National Bank consolidates with Michigan City Trust & Savings
- 1955The Bank offers Indiana's first automobile drive-up and customer walk-up service windows
- 1962First National Bank and Merchants National Bank merges of to become First-Merchants National Bank
- 1974With customer needs at the forefront, we offer the first ATM in Indiana, keeping up with tradition of innovation
- 1986First National Bank Merges with First Bank to become First Citizens Bank
- 1997First Citizen’s Bank was renamed after the holding company to Horizon Bank
- 2003Horizon branches into the state of Michigan, opening an office in Southwest Michigan
- 2004Horizon’s Business Diversity Council is established to provide oversight for Horizon's outreach efforts
- 2014Horizon opens its first student-run branch in Michigan City High School, later adding LaPorte High School
- 2019Horizon celebrates $5 Billion in total assets, making us the largest bank in Indiana. The first bilingual branch is opened in Whiting, Indiana. Acquires our first Interactive Teller Machine, and video banking becomes available to our customers
- 2020Unprecedented pandemic strikes. Horizon commits a six-figure pledge to provide aid to those affected by COVID-19
- 2021Horizon wins Best Bank to Work For, a prestigious accolade from American Banker
- 2022Horizon Bank becomes one of the first community bank in the country to be approved by the FDIC and Indiana Department of Revenue to organize its own community development corporation (CDC)
- 2023150 YEARS STRONG
Horizon celebrates its sesquicentennial
The Road to 150