Set Up an Account for Online Banking (Web Connect)
1. Log into your financial institution’s website.
2. Download your transactions according to your financial institution’s instructions. If you are given a choice for your download format, choose “QuickBooks Web Connect (*.QBO)” and save the file to your computer
NOTE: These instructions assume you will save the download to your computer. If you “open” it instead, your web browser should open QuickBooks and begin to import the transactions. If you plan to open the file directly, we recommend that you have your Company file open in QuickBooks 2017 before you begin step 2.
3. Open QuickBooks and your Company File
4. Choose Banking menu > Bank Feeds > Import Web Connect File. You will see an import dialog
5. Navigate to and select the file you downloaded in Step 2, then click Open
6. Click Use an Existing QuickBooks Account if you have an appropriate account tin the Chart of Accounts. If you don’t have an account yet, click Create a new QuickBooks account and enter a name for that account
7. Click Continue
8. Click OK to confirm and finish
NOTE: There is an alternate way of importing a Web Connect file into QuickBooks. Go to File > Utilities > Import > Web Connect file, navigate to where the Web Connect file is located on your computer, then click Open.
Special Note: Matching and Adding Transactions
After you setup Bank Feeds and open the Bank Feeds Center, you will need to tell QuickBooks how to handle downloaded transactions.
1. Go to Banking menu > Bank Feeds > Bank Feeds Center, select the account you want to work on and click Transaction List
A colored bar will indicate the following:
• Transactions in orange need your review
• Transactions in red have been changed by rules
• Transactions in blue have been automatically matched
NOTE: You can filter your transactions easily using the status, type, and date range filters.
2. Add or Verify the QuickBooks income/expense account on each transaction
Updating an Account (Web Connect) – Bank Feeds
1. Choose Banking menu > Bank Feeds > Bank Feeds Center
2. Select the account you want to update in the Bank Feeds window
3. After you select the account, click Refresh Account to start the update process
NOTE: For Web Connect accounts, QuickBooks will open your financial Institution (FI) website. Please log in and download the QuickBooks web connect file (*.QBO) per the financial institution’s instructions. Alternately, you can log into the FI website outside of QuickBooks and follow the same steps below.
4. When you begin the web connect download from the FI website, your web browser should give you the option to either “open” the file or “save” it
• If you open it, QuickBooks should open and begin the import process
• If you save it, you can import it later by going to Banking menu > Bank Feeds > Import Web Connect File, navigate to where the Web Connect File is located on your computer, then click Open
NOTE: You can also import a Web Connect file into QuickBooks by going to File > Utilities > Import > Web Connect file, navigate to where the Web Connect file is located on your computer, and then click Open.
5. QuickBooks will then import the online banking transactions and show you a Transmission Summary
6. Review the Online Transmission Summary. You can print the summary or just click Close when done
7. After the Web Connect import, go to Banking menu > Bank Feeds > Bank Feeds Center, then select the account, and click the Transaction List button to view and match the downloaded transactions